Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sinead O'Connor

We went to see Sinead O'Connor in concert last night, my husband had gotten free tickets in work. And I have to say I was impressed. I'm not exactly a fan & I don't have any of her CD's & if the tickets hadn't been free I probably wouldn't have gone but I actually really enjoyed the night which surprised me a lot. She really is very talented & speaks her mind through her lyrics even if it goes against the common thought. You have to kindda admire her for that.


It got me thinking about the whole 'judging a book by its cover' thing & I have to say although I try not to judge, I have to admit I was in this instance. I judged her on her past exploits in the media & other instances of controversy. But she, like us all, is trying to do what she thinks is right to highlight injustices in this world. Do I agree with her? not always but can I judge her? No. But as a musician & an artist she really is very good.

Ok you might think 'ciara you went to one concert & now you're like her best friend' but it wasn't like that. She really was very unassuming on stage & her comments in between songs really were revealing. It wasn't so much what she said or didn't say but it was that she made me think & be aware of my prejudices - which is pre - judging people after all. Its so easy to do & I'm guilty myself but its something I'm going to try to be more aware of in my dealings with people.
So maybe that's a thought for the day of how you think about people you meet before you even know anything about them. Maybe train yourself to be 'aware' of how you think. Might be interesting. Let me know your thoughts on this if you have any.

Other than that I hope you have a great day & keep smiling.

5 comments:

itbbabyel said...

thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it. part of me still wants him back just so I can kick him to the curb, but I am getting better and he will do this to the same girl or she will do it to him either way Karma will come back!!!! I am a firm believer in that.

itbbabyel said...

I have like Sinead O'Connor's voice for a while now. Never been to one of her concerts but I am glad you had a good time.

Ciara said...

hi there
thx for stopping by, hope it helped a bit, its never easy.

dND said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, I often look at where readers are and wonder who they are :-D

I loved this post, I've always liked Sinead O'Connors's voice and over looked most of her 'antics'. The prejudice thing is so easy to fall into in very many ways.

I think we do it because life is so complicated. It's much easier to make your mind up about something once and then reject what doesn't fit the mould, than re-evaluate every time.

It sadly is a trait that narrows your experiences and possible enjoyments. I can think of two examples where I went against my pre-judgement. One was when I was on radio presenting a classical music show (that is a whole other story). My music tastes are anything with a lovely melody. To be inclusive I tried to play a bit of everything and included some minimalist music. Once I stopped trying to compare it to 'normal' music and actually listened to it, it went from a noise to something enjoyable. My other pre-judge is far more recent, Amy Whinehouse. I couldn't understand the fuss, then I finally listened to her songs.

Deborah

Ciara said...

hi Deborah
Thx for stopping by. Thats so weird that you mention Amy Winehouse as just last week I said the exact same thing about her to my husband , she's really good, loved her music when I fianlly listened to it properly.