Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Interesting Internet

I've learned something new. The internet is great ok thats not what I learned but I got what i learned form the internet, get me. ;o)
Just trivial bits of general knowledge that I found interesting. I found out yesterday that racquetball, which I'd heard of but didn't know what exactly it was is very like squash. So i decided to look it up (what can i say it was Monday & i was bored in work ;oD)
You can learn very interesting things about everything & nothing on the internet, well of course I knew this but haven't really thought about how cool it is really for awhile, just take it for granted, like everything else that we get used to having but think about it 20yrs ago, internet? what was that?

Anyway i'm totally digressing, heres what I found out, racquetball is essentially the same type of game as squash with just some minor differences. Anyone who doesn't care please switch off now but anyone interested in a bit of trivia please continue. What can i say I was interested, I'm interested in the different things people call things in different parts of the world.





Squash racquet - 27in long & 8.5in wide
& see the little itty bitty ball - usually 39.5mm







Racquetball racquet - 22in long & wider not sure by how much
Ball - 57mm diametre



The courts are slightly different too



32-ft. long by 21-ft. wide by 15 feet high

Also generally only one wall is glass & above the top red line is out.




Whereas racquetball court is

40-ft. long by 20-ft. wide by 20 feet high and generally 2 walls are glass.

There is no 'out' area the ball can bounce anywhere & still be counted as in.

Again isn't the internet great?

2 comments:

Sadge said...

I soooooo miss our racquetball courts. I loved playing, and then they sold the gym, tore it down, and built a Wal-Mart :-P Some of the guys would also play handball on the same courts (same thing, basically, just no racquet). Two of our courts had a glass back wall for spectators, the rest were totally enclosed, with a tiny little door you'd step through in the back wall. Waaahhhhh - you made me remember how much I miss it.

Ciara said...

Awh I'm sorry didn't want to make you feel bad. Yeah its crap when they tear places down like that. Its hard to come across courts even in Sydney its all just gyms now it seems or you have to join a club.
Hope you get to play again soon.