Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bushfires update

The death toll has reached 181 so far & they're expecting it to go as high as 300. Its beyond comprehension. Its the worst natural disaster of this kind in Australia.
One of the things that really has amazed me, is the amount of support that the area's effected have been getting from the whole country, it really has surprised me. There have been national & local fundraising going on for the people & areas effected, set up since even before the first death was reported. I think they've raised AU$38 million so far. There really is amazing sense of community in Australia, I knew was there but hadn't really seen it put into action as evidently as now. It warms the heart that people are still able to pull together in a tragedy. The Red Cross is accepting donations both here in Australia and from their locations around the world. You can read about their current efforts here.

Life really is so short, enjoy it today.

2 comments:

Letera said...

Hey girl, I am so sorry to hear how terrible this is. Someone asked me and I was wondering why are so many people dying? This is just terrible. My prayers are with you and your country.

Ciara said...

Hey there,
I'm not 100% sure but I'm hearing a few reasons, it came on too fast & people were caught trying to escape, alot of people died in their cars trying to get away, how sad. Another area I think had only few roads out & they were cut off by flames.