Friday, April 11, 2008

Tote Bag

I joined a shopping tote swap a few weeks ago on Down to earth blog. Now me I'm not generally a joiner in'er but just decided to give it a go & sure maybe I'd learn a new skill. I had been fascinated by the dressmaker who did the bridesmaids dresses for my wedding that she could just thrown this piece together & that piece & fiddle this & that & kaboom you have a dress. I brought her pictures of the one I wanted & she just measured the girls & away she went. I thought that was soooo cool & that I'd love to be able to do that.



Long & short of it never got round to it so when this came up sure I thought maybe I'd give it a go, it was a start after all. I haven't sewed anything since my home economics class in school so wasn't really sure how i was going to get on but sure I did it anyway. My swap partner had said she liked purple & patterned material so that's what I got for her. Ok so after many unpickings & fights with the sewing machine as it didn't like that I'd doubled up the layers so it would be more sturdy I ended up doing most of it by hand & you know what I actually found it very therapeutic.






So this is the one I made for Lindsay







and this is the one I got in the post this morning.

How cool is it to get a present that someone actually put time & effort into? It really meant more to me than something bought which was nice. So I'm thinking of making presents from now on well when I can.
So ok I know its only a small start but definitely want to learn how to sew properly. I find it very difficult to find trousers that are long enough for me cos I'm quite tall without paying a fortune for them which I'm not inclined to do so to be able to make clothes that actually fit me, fit my shape would be so cool.

10 comments:

dND said...

I was put off sewing by classes at school. They taught me the proper way that is true, but I spent so much time unpicking things because they weren't perfect that I just gave up when I didn't have to do it.

Much later in life someone pointed out to me that it didn't have to be perfect, no-one was going to come and inspect each seam and tell me stitches were different lengths and had to be redone, I didn't really need to neaten/bind edges of things that weren't meant to last 10's of years. So I got round to making some of the children's clothes.

Not sewn for ages though but with luck by the end of this year I should have unpacked my sewing stuff and have a place clear enough to do it.

I love your tote too, I've looked at all the swaps and been amazed at all the different ones. As you say, how lovely to get and give a personal and individual present.

Letera said...

Hi Ciara! Your bag is beautiful. I thought I would check out your blog. Hope thats okay.

Ciara said...

Hi Deborah
I know I was totally the same when my lines weren't straight but in a way it was good there was a deadline cos I otherwise I never would have finished it. Also the fact it was for someone else spurred me on cos I knew they'd be sending me one & how crap I'd feel if I didn't do the same. I'm a bit of a perfectionist but for me the actual feeling of accomplishment outweighed my wonky lines. I have to say I was surprised by that, pleasantly surprised.
Thx for the compliment.Hope you get to sewing again soon.

Hi Letera
Thx for that & yeah course its ok, stop by anytime. I'm so jealous you're going to Bon Jovi I LOVE them, i missed getting tickets when they were here. Hope you enjoy.

Ciara

dkuroiwa said...

Hey Ciara....i love the bags!! Did you follow any kind of pattern or just "wing it" and used your imagination??
I got a second-hand sewing machine that I have used only a few times (sewing stuff the boys needed for school) and am now thinking that I could try this "bag" thing....
got lots of kimono material I could use...you have inspired me!!!
thanks...and have a great day!!!
d.

dkuroiwa said...

Hi...me again...I just tagged you for a meme on my blog...when you have some time, come and check it out....it's fun and not too terribly difficult!!!

Ciara said...

Hi Debbie
Cool thanks for that, yeah will have a go at the meme soon.
When we joined the swap they gave us few websites to get ideas so the one i used was morsbags, which was the one that looked the simplest i might add, haha.
Its http://www.morsbags.com/

Enjoy.
Ciara

Susan said...

I am a new blogger, and a friend of Debbie's. You have been tagged, please check out my blog. Thanks!

♥ N o v a said...

So I just left you a comment and Blogger ate it. arrghhh...

Anyway, I was saying that your bags are gorgeous! I wish that I had time to take up sewing again. The last time that I sewed anything was in home economics class in high school (now a very long time ago). Finding the time is the problem.

I agree with you that handmade gifts are the best gifts to get. The time, love and care that goes into handmade gifts are priceless.

Ciara said...

Hi Susan
Welcome to the blogging world, I'll check out the tag on your blog soon.

Hi Nova-San
Don't you just hate it when blogger(internet in general) does that?. Thx for that. yeah it was ages since I'd sewed anything. I know what you mean there never seems to be enough time for anything.
I love handmade gifts, my sister knit me a hat a few years ago & I loved it I wore it everywhere. I was devastated when I lost it. Thats life I suppose. :o)

Hope you're both well today
Ciara

Anonymous said...

Both bags look great. I have been in a few of the swaps on Rhonda Jean's site and they are always good.